Monday, May 7, 2012

Tabata Training

Have you ever heard of Tabata Training before? It’s a kind of interval training that involves working hard for 20 seconds, resting for 10 seconds and then repeating that same series 8 times for a total of 4 minutes. You are supposed to go very hard and fast during the 20 seconds of work, leaving you pretty worn out by the time the 4 minutes are up.

 

You can do this type of training with just about any exercise. Here’s a few examples of tabata-style exercises that we did during our boot camp class this morning…

1. Bodyweight squats

2. Isometric squats (holding in the down squat position)

3. Mountain climbers

4. Push-ups

5. Wipers (holding upright plank position and jumping feet from side to side)

6. Jump lunges

 

You can also do a few core exercises utilizing this time of interval system. Here are some things that you could include…

1. Crunches

2. Reverse crunches (bringing legs in)

3. Planks

4. Bicycle crunches

5. Double crunches (bring both upper and lower body together)

 

I love using my interval timer to do tabata or any other type of interval training. Here’s the kind I have…

blue

Image

You can also find free apps for your smartphone as well as this website to help count you down. Give it a try and see how hard you can work in just 4 minutes!!

1 comment:

  1. I went to a body bar class yesterday and I hadn't ever been to this one before but as we were going I really enjoyed how she ran the class but she eventually asked if we had ever heard of tabata training. I actually had because I just read this post on Wednesday. It was kind of funny. I really enjoyed doing some interval training while we were doing body bar. I have been able to go to a couple classes this week. It was been really great.

    ReplyDelete