Saturday, July 10, 2010

Born to Run

"Some athletes run to train. Some athletes train to run. But make no mistake -- ALL ATHLETES RUN." - Under Armour

I am a runner. I have been running since high school with only a few breaks in between (namely an 18-month mission to Brazil and during the last trimester of two pregnancies.) I love running. I love the way it makes me feel. I love the way it empowers me and makes me want to be a better person. But I think most of all running has given me something that I had never felt until I found it...running makes me feel like an athlete.

I was not fortunate to have been blessed with the greatest balance or coordination. Organized sports are not one of my strengths (in fact, I seriously stink at every sport I've ever tried.) Try strapping things to my feet and telling me to move forward (think skiing and any form of skating) and things don't improve much there either. But running...that I can do. I'm not terribly fast. I'll certainly never give the Kenyans a run for their money. But I run. I run because I can. It makes me physically and mentally tough and I love that feeling. I love the feeling I get when I race and people I don't even know actually cheer for me!! Yes, me...not-very-athletic-except-for-running me. I even have my own personal water-person for a few hours (Okay, so in actuality they're actually wonderful race volunteers who pass out water/Gatorade cups to all the participants, but close enough!) Running makes me feel alive. It makes me strong. Running make me feel like an athlete!

So what makes you feel strong? I know so many people who abhor running, and you know what, that's OK. The point is to find your passion. What is it that makes you feel alive and want to set goals and see them fulfilled? Maybe it's biking, rowing, skiing, basketball, roller-blading, step-classes, kick-boxing, yoga, volleyball, pilates, swimming, etc. Whatever it is, follow that passion. Don't do something just because you "should" (although trying out new things may help you find what your true passion is!) Bring out your inner athlete by doing what you love. Not all of us were born to love running. But all of us were born to love something. So go out there and give it all you've got, no matter what that "IT" is.

No comments:

Post a Comment