Wednesday, September 22, 2010

4th Place

FOURTH PLACE....THE FIRST LOSER?!?!?!
Do any of you remember those "No Fear" shirts that were pretty popular in the early 90's? They would usually have the "No Fear" logo on the front and then some saying on the back. Some of them were pretty inspirational, some were pretty mean and in my humble opinion, a bit inaccurate too. I remember one shirt having this phrase..."Second place, the first loser!" I'm sure this was intended as motivation to always shoot for the top, but I hardly considered a second place finisher in any competition to be a "loser."
Watching the Olympic games every two years though does make me think about 4th place being the "first loser." I have always felt a little bad watching the fourth place finisher in the Olympics. They have obviously worked so hard to even be in the Olympic games in the first place. Being the fourth best athlete in the world is nothing to scoff at either, but just being out of the medals must be a bit disheartening at times.
So what does this have to do with me?
Well, I got the official results from my half-marathon on Saturday. My time was 1:56 (as you can clearly see from the picture). My surprise was that I actually finished 4th in my age group! The race was REALLY small...I usually don't even come close to placing! It made me both excited and a bit sad though...
Happy because, hey, I came in 4th!! With an injury no less!!
A bit sad though because only the top three finishers received a prize (a pretty snazzy backpack) and the recognition. And perhaps the hardest part...I finished only 90 seconds behind the 3rd place finisher in my age group. Awwwwww, so close yet so far away!!
I will do my best to be happy about it though. I really feel like I gave it my all. Could I have gone 90 seconds faster...perhaps. But it's easier to second guess myself now that it's over. I was in a lot of pain at the time and it took just about everything I had not to stop and quit. So I'll try to take a "glass-half-full" approach and shout to the rooftops....
I CAME IN 4TH PLACE!!!
Talking Point: How would you feel about coming in 4th place? Any words of advice, condolences, congratulations, etc.?!?!?!

2 comments:

  1. Like you said, 4th place is hard but I think you did AWESOME!!! I can't imagine how hard that was. I think it was a HUGE accomplishment to meet your goal and to get 4th place. You did amazing. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably the only way I would come in fourth in my age group is if there were only four women in my age group in the race! You did terrific, and I think you should be proud. 1:56--that's me on a GOOD day--with perfect training, no injuries, a good night's sleep, no blisters, perfect weather, and a flat, scenic course!

    ReplyDelete