Monday, September 13, 2010

Weekly Challenge (Sep. 13-Sep. 19, 2010)

First things first this morning...

The lucky winner of this bondiband is...
Stephanie T.!!!
Congratulations Stephanie!! Unless you've moved I still have your address so I'll be shipping it off to you shortly. I hope this helps to keep your hair back a bit better during your basketball sessions!!
So how did the challenge go for you last week with increasing your workouts in some way? I was able to get in one bodyrock.tv workout but I hope to be able to do more of those types of interval workouts soon after my half-marathon this Saturday...wait, did I just say THIS Saturday? Why yes, my race is this weekend and I'm both scared and excited about it. Scared because my backside is still giving me issues but excited because I've trained long and hard for it and I just hope and pray that everything somehow comes together for me on race day! Did any of you have any luck in increasing the volume and/or intensity of your workouts this week?
The challenge for this week will be a bit different. It has to do with something that I've wanted to do for myself ever since I started seeing other people make them and incorporate them into their lives. The challenge is to make yourself a "vision board." This will be a visual reminder that you will put up some place to remind you of what your goals are, whatever they may be. Maybe it's to lose 5-10 pounds, build muscle, buy a house, improve a relationship, workout more regularly or to eat healthy foods...whatever your goals may be, you have to envision yourself doing it before you can achieve it and that's what this vision board will do for you. It will also help to keep you motivated when your resolve may be weak!
Here's a description of a vision board that I found here...

A vision board (also called a Treasure Map or a Visual Explorer or Creativity Collage) is typically a poster board on which you paste or collage images that you have torn out from various magazines. It’s simple.

The idea behind this is that when you surround yourself with images of who you want to become, what you want to have, where you want to live, or where you want to vacation, your life changes to match those images and those desires.
The Five Steps of Creating a Vision Board:
Step 1: Go through your magazines and tear the images from them. No gluing yet! Just let yourself have lots of fun looking through magazines and pulling out pictures or words or headlines that strike your fancy. Have fun with it. Make a big pile of images and phrases and words.

Step 2: Go through the images and begin to lay your favorites on the board. Eliminate any images that no longer feel right. This step is where your intuition comes in. As you lay the pictures on the board, you’ll get a sense how the board should be laid out. For instance, you might assign a theme to each corner of the board. Health, Job, Spirituality, Relationships, for instance. Or it may just be that the images want to go all over the place. Or you might want to fold the board into a book that tells a story.

Step 3: Glue everything onto the board. Add writing if you want. You can paint on it, or write words with markers.

Step 4: (optional, but powerful) Leave space in the very center of the vision board for a fantastic photo of yourself where you look radiant and happy. Paste yourself in the center of your board.

Step 5: Hang your vision board in a place where you will see it often.
I know that may sound kind of cheesy to some of you, but I think we all tend to underestimate the power of positive thinking and of having concrete goals to focus on in life. By next Monday, I hope to be posting my own vision board. Hopefully this will give me enough motivation to get it done!!
Also, my brother-in-law suggested that I allow for people to check in on their progress on any challenges that they may have started. He's been doing a great job on following the "100 Push-up Challenge." I ended up skipping an entire week (bad Dadra!!) so I am only on Week #3 now. He is scaring me about weeks 4-6 though so maybe it's good that I am a week behind!! So far so good on the plan...I can currently do 30 consecutive push-ups which I'm excited about but wondering how in the world I'll be able to do 100 in just another month. Maybe that's something that should go on my vision board! Anybody else out there that would like to update on their challenges too?
Talking Point: How many of you are going to commit to doing a vision board this week?

2 comments:

  1. YEA!! That is exciting! Thank You! The guys I m sure will be thanking you to:) Unfortunately we still live in the same house in Bryan. Sad, I know. Maybe next year we will move....MAYBE. I have had some setbacks as well in the push-up challenge. I had a gallstone attack and now have to have my gallbladder removed. I wish I could do more but going to school while being a mom is hard. It is a matter of priorities and unfortunately school wasn't a priority before children so now I have to do it the hard way.
    Thanks again! I may have to go run sometime with the girls that run MWF to show off my new bondiband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey--so to step up my training last week, I ran 16 miles on Saturday as part of my marathon training. I wasn't fast, but I was steady and I finished. I still can't believe a full marathon is 10 miles beyond that. I was so tired at the end. I just have to trust that this schedule will get me there and hope that I won't get injured in the process. Good luck on your half-marathon! I think you will do great. I have a half-marathon the week after--the Disney Wine & Dine, which I'm excited about. It's a night-time race (starts at 10 pm) and ends with a wine and gourmet food festival that goes until 3 am! But I'm mainly worried about having to do my 18 and 20 mile runs on my own before then to stay on track with my training schedule.

    Also, I did two 12-minute interval sessions last week and went to yoga class twice. I bought a 15-pass punchcard to a nearby yoga/pilates studio and I'm trying to go twice a week this fall to help keep my muscles flexible. They tend to get so tight and stiff when I'm training, which leads to injury. It's hard for me to stretch properly on my own, so I feel like I need a class to do it right.

    I'm excited about making my visual. It will involve one of my favorite past-times: reading fitness magazines! I just love it whenever a new magazine turns up in my mailbox. I sit and read all evening. I'll see what I can come up with for my visual from my magazines.

    ReplyDelete