Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My Training Partner

Well, I didn't actually get a picture of my food plate from last night's BBQ. It was a bit chaotic with 10 kids and 6 adults trying to eat at one time, but fortunately I was able to keep it pretty clean. My plate consisted of some grilled chicken, veggies with muhammara dip, cantaloupe and a few too many servings of veggie chips (love those things!) I did manage to avoid the cake and ice cream and the s'mores though so definitely a success. If there had been brownies, I would probably have given in...they're my absolute favorite desert!

Although I do have a running group that I get together with every Saturday, most of my runs are done solo. I enjoy this time that I have to zone out and think about things for a while.

But when I say I run alone, that's a little bit untrue, since I always run with my very faithful companion. He does a great job at keeping me motivated and monitors our pace very closely. He's always ready for a run (unless he needs charged) and gives me good feedback on how each run goes. This is him...


Awwww, isn't he sweet-looking? I really do love this guy. We've been together for over three years now and I seem to grow even more fond of him with time. We've done two marathon-training programs together and he was there for me when I struggled through the Richmond Marathon and triumphed in the Baltimore Marathon. He has been my constant companion while training for my current half-marthon too. He gets a bit neglected during the winter months (when the treadmill replaces him for a bit), but come Spring, Summer and Fall, he and I become the best of friends again.

In the dark days before the Garmin 305 entered my life, I used to have to map out my distances by car or bike and then guess at what my mileage, pace and total time would be. Now my little friend does it all for me and is amazingly accurate. They have since come out with a newer model (the Garmin 405) but I just can't imagine replacing this little guy, at least not yet!! Yes he is a bit bulky (I look like I have a small computer on my wrist when I run) but I wouldn't trade him!! He is definitely my favorite running gadget (outside of the very necessary Asics Nimbus running shoes I wear of course!)

Talking Point: What is your favorite piece of workout equipment? Do you have a Garmin watch? What do you think of it?

1 comment:

  1. I've been looking over reviews for this (for one day if I can afford to get one) and most people like the 305 over the 405 so I wouldn't upgrade.

    ReplyDelete