Thursday, August 5, 2010

I Scream, U Scream

Anybody who knows me well, knows that I LOVE ice cream. That gooey, yummy, creamy texture does me in every time. I have been known to down large quantities in a single sitting and was the one thing I craved almost everyday while pregnant with both children. Summertime seems to bring out my ice cream addiction even more...that cool goodness on these hot days is something that I just adore.

I have discovered a fairly good and healthy substitute for ice cream recently that I thought I would share. It still has the cool, creamy texture of ice cream but without all the fat and calories. The best part is that it contains a huge amount of protein too (about 30 grams) which is great for anybody like me who sometimes struggles to get in enough protein during the day. I call it "Protein Pseudo Ice Cream Goodness!"

Protein Pseudo Ice Cream Goodness

1 Banana (cut up and frozen -- this is important to get a good, creamy consistency)
1/4 c. nonfat plain greek yogurt
1/4 c. lowfat cottage cheese (for all those cottage cheese-haters, I promise you will not taste it at all in this concoction)
1/2 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
1 T. natural peanut butter (try to use something that lists peanuts as the only ingredient)

Combine first three ingredients in a food processor until smooth (this may take a couple of minutes with the frozen banana, but the more it mixes, the creamier it will be). Then add in the protein powder and peanut butter and mix until well combined. Pour this creamy goodness into a bowl, freeze for an hour or so and indulge in this creamy treat without all the guilt! (I will often make this right after dinner so that it is ready for a nice evening snack!)

Talking Point: Do you have any healthy alternatives to any of your favorite foods?

3 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to have to try this. I LOVE ice cream as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You probably saw this but I added your blog as a link on my facebook page, I hope you don't mind, a friend of mine then linked it on her page and she linked this Ice Cream specifically.
    Do you make this with good (eating) or bad (banana bread) bananas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can freeze the bananas in any state. I always try to make sure I have at least one frozen banana in the freezer at all times so that I can make this anytime. It's especially nice when you have some bananas that look to be going bad soon...just freeze them like you would for banana bread and use for ice cream instead!! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete