Thursday, August 5, 2010

My Eats

After way too much indulging during our family reunion, I was more than ready to get back to my clean eating ways. I definitely feel a difference in my body and energy levels when I fuel it well.

I thought I would take a typical day and show an example of what I would normally eat for each meal. So here's what I had today...

Meal 1:
1/2 c. oatmeal
1 T. ground flax seed
1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
(I eat this almost every single day for breakfast and never get tired of it...very filling and a perfect way to begin each day!)
Meal 2:
My Green Smoothie
1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
1 handful of spinach leaves
1/4 c. greek yogurt
water + ice
(This is my usual post-workout drink and it is super filling despite being pretty low in calories and fat)

Meal 3:
Spinach and turkey wrap (the wrap is a Flatout Flatbread...love 'em!!)
Grapes
Light Mini Babybel cheese wedge (I love cheese, but need it portion-controlled so I don't go overboard!)

Meal 4:
Handful of raw almonds
Baby carrots
One whole egg + one egg white

Meal 5:
Green Beans
Brown Rice
Tilapia (seasoned with basil, cumin, and curry...I adore this combo!)

Meal 6:
Protein Pseudo Ice Cream Goodness
(Recipe here)

And of course at least 3 liters of water each day. Water is definitely my beverage of choice. Since I don't like wasting calories on beverages and I try to avoid artificial sweeteners, water is kind of the only thing out there. It's a good thing I like it so much. Sometimes I'll throw in a lemon or lime wedge, but I really do like it plain too.

So there you have it, a typical day of eats in my world. I try to eat 5-6 servings of non-starchy vegetables each day along with 2-3 servings of healthy fats (flax, nuts, healthy oils, etc.) and 2-3 servings of fruit. I also try to eat a lean protein source at each meal too. Of course it's not always this clean, but I do try to follow the 80/20 rule...80% clean, 20% other. Saturday night is usually my "treat night" too where I allow myself a little more freedom in eating choices. When I am trying to lose weight, I try to follow more of a 90/10 split and cut out meal #6.
Talking Point: What are some yummy snacks that you enjoy eating during the day? I'm always looking for new ideas!!

4 comments:

  1. I definitely need to get back to eating healthy. How many calories would a day like this be?
    I DEFINITELY need to be better with portion control. Sweets and the portions of sweets really is my down fall. It seems like for me I either have to deny myself of sweets completely or I will get the taste in my mouth and won't stop until they are gone.
    How many calories should you have in a day? Is there some kind of percentage that I heard but was wondering what you thought? I had heard your body weight x 10. So if you want to lose weight, you would put in the weight you want to be at times 10 and then that is the amount of calories you should use for the day. What about if you work out? Should you increase your calorie intake at all? If you are trying to lose weight, I would think probably not but what about if you are just trying to maintain it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually picked up some almonds while at the store today. I really like almonds just didn't buy them.
    Is flatbread just like tortillas? What are pita chips? Where would I find them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flatbread I buy I can only find at our local wal-mart (I really dislike shopping there, so I stock up, freeze all the packages and then thaw out as needed.) I love this particular brand of flatbreads because they are really soft and tasty. They are also a bit thicker than tortillas. But whole wheat tortillas work great for wraps too, just watch the ingredient list. Try to avoid anything with high fructose corn syrup and try to get the tortillas with the least amount of recognizable ingredient possible. I LOVE pita chips but I do have a hard time with portion control with them so I don't buy them much. They are usually sold in the same place as potato chips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever made the green smoothie with kale? Where do you get the whey powder? Or is there a better powder to use if you are trying to stay away from dairy?

    ReplyDelete