Saturday, August 7, 2010

Going Long

I was a little worried about my 10-mile run this morning for two reasons...1. I felt a bit of a sore throat coming on yesterday and I was afraid I may be coming down with a virus, and 2. I had a GIGANTIC serving of fat-laden ice cream from the creamery last night and I wasn't sure how my body would digest it!

So I was pretty stoked about this morning's run...I felt fantastic! It's been a while since a long run has felt soooo good. I guess you have to experience the bad runs sometimes in order to truly appreciate the good ones.

Here are the final stats for today's run...
TOTAL TIME: 1:26:38
AVG PACE: 8:40 min/mile
Mile Breakdown:
Mile 1: 8:47
Mile 2: 8:44
Mile 3: 8:42
Mile 4: 8:44
Mile 5: 8:47
Mile 6: 8:46
Mile 7: 8:41
Mile 8: 8:43
Mile 9: 8:38
Mile 10: 8:04
I love to see my mile breakdowns, especially since I am really working on maintaining a consistent pace throughout my runs and finishing stronger than I start. Today's run definitely accomplished those two goals. I loved kicking it in at the end too! Only 6 more weeks until the half-marathon and I'm feeling pretty confident about it now!!
After a few stretches, I did my "wall-sit" for about 15 minutes. This is a great way to stretch out your hamstrings after a tough and/or long workout and it also helps to drain the lactic acid from your leg muscles so that they aren't as sore for the rest of the day. I have noticed a huge difference since doing this wall sit at the end of each long run.
(Please excuse those pasty legs and dirty ankles...we ran along the C&O towpath today which always leaves me a bit grimy.)
After a nice long, hot shower, I refueled with my breakfast staple...protein and flax oatmeal. Nope, it never gets old!!

I also ate a banana before heading out this morning and I fueled mid-run with some Nathan Catalyst Sugar Free Electrolyte Drink Mix tablets in my water bottle as well as some Clif Shot Bloks Electrolyte Chews. I am loving this new combination I have been trying out during this training season. Gatorade and the power gels were a bit too sweet for my taste and they always left a nasty film in my mouth afterward.
Talking Point: How do you fuel before, during and after a hard workout? I used to be unable to eat anything before a run, but I have gradually weaned my body into being able to handle a bit of fuel before long runs so that I don't run out of gas too quickly. My shorter runs during the week are usually done in a fasted state though. What about you...to eat or not to eat before exercise, that is the question, right?

2 comments:

  1. I always like to eat something small before a run- espeically in the morning. I always think that it jump starts my metabolism a little better. I also really liked the sports beans while running, but usually would just do a gel packet. I have to eat it with lots of propel fitness water though.
    Are you running Baltimore this year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, I think Baltimore was a "been there, run that" race. I doubt I will ever do it again. I am considering doing the Richmond Marathon again though in November in addition to the half marathon in September in Hancock. What about you...any races in the future? The half marathon in Hanock also includes a 5K if you're interested (I know you just had a baby, but you could walk/run it too!!)

    ReplyDelete