Monday, August 9, 2010

Weekly Challenge (Aug. 9-15, 2010)

My day began with a 6:30 a.m. 5-mile run...

The weather was great this morning and I felt really good. I ran each mile successively faster, running an 8:30 mile for mile #1 and a 7:47 mile for mile #5.

I followed this run with a circuit weight workout that consisted of the following exercises:

Warm-up
1. Jumping jacks (15 reps)
2. Prisoner squats (10 reps)
3. Push-ups (8 reps)
Repeat entire circuit 5 times.

10 minute Quick and Dirty Circuit
1. Dumbbell row (10 reps)
2. Incline dumbbell bench press (10 reps)
3. Squat thrusts w/ push-up and burpee (8 reps)
4. Dumbbell push press (10 reps)
5. Single-arm kettlebell swing (12 reps)
Repeat entire circuit 3 times.

4 minute Tabata-style workout
1. Dumbbell squat (AMAP in 20 sec)
2. Single-arm kettlebell swing (AMAP in 20 sec)
3. Hammer curl to press (AMAP in 20 sec)
4. Single-arm kettlebell swing (AMAP in 20 sec)
Repeat entire circuit 2 times.

I liked this workout because I can finish the whole thing in 20 minutes, it keeps my heart rate elevated the entire time and I work every major muscle group. I was sweating like a banshee when it was all over (I'm not really sure what a banshee is, or if it even sweats...but I was sweating something fierce nonetheless!)

Afterwards, I refueled with my breakfast-of-choice...

Protein-Flax-Oatmeal

Each Monday, I thought I would introduce a new weekly challenge segment. I hope these will encourage everyone (myself included!!) to step things up a notch and challenge your body into making the changes that you desire.
Weekly Challenge (August 9-15, 2010)
This week is a workout challenge. I want you to change things up a bit by trying something completely new to you. If you belong to a gym, try out a new yoga, spinning, Zumba or kickboxing class. If you prefer working out at home, try a new workout DVD (your local library is a great resource to try, and it doesn't cost you a thing!) If you walk for fitness, try adding in a few 60 second jogging intervals into your daily session. And you could just do what you normally do (bike, swim, run, elliptical, etc.) but just take it up a notch. Try doing some speed intervals on the treadmill or do a new weight workout using the Tabata-style method. Whatever it is, just try to aim for doing something new to you this week. Your body will be shocked by doing something new and if you have plateaued, it could be just the jump start your body needs to reach it's new level of fitness. And who knows, you might even discover something new that you really enjoy doing, a definite bonus!!
Talking Point: So what are you going to do this week to shake things up a bit? My plan is to try a class at my gym called Bodyflow (a yoga-pilates style class.) I definitely need to work on my balance and flexibility training so I am hoping this will be a good class for me to try out.

No comments:

Post a Comment